Friday, August 24, 2007

An Eye Opener

I went with my kids today to visit some Myanmar refugee children.

It was the school holidays, and I felt it was a good idea to bring them to meet with these children. If not just for them to realize how lucky they were, also for them to simply play with the kids.

We arrived while a volunteer was telling the kids a story. While she spoke in English, we had a young Myanmarese lady named Lulu translating so the children would understand. Not long after story time, it was time for lunch.

The children had a simple meal of rice, with egg, chicken and noodles. Before they dug in, a lanky teenager (I forget his name) stood up to say grace in his native tongue. Although I didn't understand a word he said, I had to bow my head down to blink back the tears. Here he was offering thanks, while we, who have so much more, forget to take time to appreciate what we already have. Puts all my problems in perspective.

They offered me a plate of rice with a small piece of egg, and two tiny pieces of chicken. While that was hardly anything extraordinary, I was so touched. They already have so little to begin with, yet think nothing of sharing it with me - a complete stranger.

I crammed the food into my mouth, swallowing quickly because there it was again, that lump in my throat. I watched while the kids ate their lunch, laughing and playing - behaving as though there wasn't a care in the world. Which I suppose is a good thing. So that they can be as they should be - children.

One of the boys, Justin will be repatriated together with his family, to New Zealand at the end of the year. When asked if he was happy about going, he said he wasn't. In broken English, he said he'd be leaving his friends behind.

We left not too long after lunch. That visit was intended to open my children's eyes, but instead it opened mine. The children also opened my heart, and left an indelible mark. Indeed, I will be back to see them soon enough.

No comments: